DIY: Mouthwash and Toothpaste
Make Your Mouthwash and Toothpaste
Getting ready for your nighttime routine of brushing your teeth and realized you were out of toothpaste or mouthwash?
No need to worry!
You can make your own with items you might have sitting in your kitchen cabinets
I'll tell you why: there's been continuous debate over potential harmful effects of fluoride.
There are organic options available at your local store, but there are recipes for making your own with ingredients you may have in your kitchen!
Take a chance on homemade dental care and try out the recipes below!
Article Table of Contents:
- 5 fl. oz. Rum or Vodka
- 4 fl. oz. water
- ½ fl. oz. vegetable glycerin
- ½ oz. powdered myrrh gum
- 5 drops essential oil of cinnamon
- 5 drops essential oil of clove
It's easy to make:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a jar and shake well.
Important note: This particular mouthwash isn’t recommended for use every single day due to its high alcohol content causing a drying effect in the mouth.
How do these ingredients work together?
Alcohol, as we know, kills bacteria. It also freshens your breath.
Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties and works as a preservative for the mouthwash (so it doesn't expire).
Essential oil of clove has healing powers for cavities and relieves toothache pain.
Myrrh gum is an anti-inflammatory agent for any oral infections.
- 2-3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- 1-1 ½ tsp sea salt
- Peppermint or Spearmint Oil
Directions to Make It:
- In a glass mason jar, mix baking soda, sea salt, and peppermint/spearmint oil.
- Add in coconut oil gradually.
- Depending on the climate, you’ll have to adjust the measurement of coconut oil. (It tends to be harder in cold weather, and softer in hot.)
- After mixing in the coconut oil, you are finished! The result is a minty fresh, chemical-free natural toothpaste.
Why these ingredients?
Baking soda is a natural cleaning agent, and some people clean their teeth with just baking soda by itself.
The peppermint or spearmint is solely for flavoring.
The salt is
Coconut oil is a natural base and binding ingredient.
If making your own toothpaste and mouthwash doesn't seem like something you'd do, try a different kind of make...
Make an appointment with us at Hylan Dental Care if you live in the greater Cleveland area and are searching for a Dentist Near You.
Click the link below to get started!