4 Ways to Brighten Your Smile
Four Methods to Whiten Your Teeth
Having a yellowed smile is one way to knock your self-confidence down a few pegs.
Luckily, your teeth can be whitened - and it's totally safe.
Teeth whitening is among the most popular cosmetic dental procedures because it can greatly improve how your teeth look.
Let's take a look at four ways you can bring your confidence level up and get your teeth bright and white.
1. Baking Soda
An at-home remedy that has been known to whiten teeth is brushing your teeth with baking soda.
Create a DIY-paste of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.
The best approach is as follows:
- Combine 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide with 1 tablespoon baking soda.
- Stir until it turns into a paste.
- Proceed to brush.
- Let the paste stand in your mouth for approximately one minute.
It is important to note that this homemade paste should not be used more than two to three times a week.
Excessive use of baking soda can have the reverse effect of cleaning - breaking down enamel and creating sensitivities in your teeth.
However; be cautious if using this method.
Baking soda does not kill bacteria, and it can increase the risk of cavity formation.
For those reasons, it is crucial to follow-up this baking soda technique with regular toothpaste brushing.
It is also helpful to floss and rise out your mouth.
2. Whitening Toothpaste
Regular toothpastes are designed to remove some surface stains while they clean and freshen, but whitening toothpastes are formulated to tackle surface stains even better.
They contain abrasive ingredients that scrub the surface of the teeth, and you'll get gradual brightening over time.
Some of the leading whitening toothpastes are:
- Arm & Hammer Clean & Fresh Truly Radiant Whitening Toothpaste
- Crest 3D White Luxe Glamorous White Toothpaste
- Colgate Optic White High Impact White Toothpaste
3. Over-the-counter Whitening Solutions
At-home kits can brighten teeth for a lot less than what you'll pay at a dentist's office.
However, don't expect quick results.
There are two types of whitening solutions that you can purchase at your local drug store:
Whitening strips. You can wear whitening strips over your teeth once a day for up to two hours. But, depending on how strong the whitening agent is, you'll likely need to wear them for several weeks before starting to see some results.
Whitening trays. Trays tend to be a "one-size-fits-all." This can result in you being uncomfortable if they slip or move around.
And if they move, it keeps the gel from making good contact with your teeth - which doesn't effectively brighten your smile.
It is best if you get custom-fit trays from your dentist to ensure that your trays fit properly.
4. In-office Whitening Treatments
At Hylan Dental, we offer two different professional methods.
- Take-home trays. For this method, we take impressions of your teeth and make custom-fit trays for you. This ensures no slipping or moving. When you are home, fill the trays with a peroxide whitening gel we give you. You'll wear them for at least twenty minutes so that the gel penetrates the surface of the teeth.
- This is a popular method because it costs less, is done at your convenience, plus you can bleach until you get to your desired whiteness.
- One-hour whitening treatments. This procedure is done in-office, in the dental chair. Many in-office systems use a high-powered bleaching agent along with a light or heat source to get rapid whitening results.
- You'll see results after only one appointment, but expect to pay a little more.
Is there a clear-cut winner when it comes to teeth whitening?
It really depends on your individual preference, the results you want to achieve, and the length of time in which you wish to achieve those results.
Teeth whitening isn't recommended for everyone -- especially if you have sensitive teeth or unhealthy teeth and gums.
Of course, it's best to consult with your dentist before using at-home remedies or over-the-counter options.
Alternatively, consider having your teeth whitened by a dentist who will use a gentle approach and make you feel at home during your appointment.
Schedule your appointment at Hylan Dental Care today to get one step closer to whiter teeth!