Age-related wear, bone loss, gum disease and accidents are all common reasons for tooth loss among adults. When natural teeth are missing, many individuals turn to traditional dentures as a relatively inexpensive option for restoring oral functionality. Secured in place by suction and dental adhesive, dentures are artificial teeth worn by people for aesthetic reasons and so they can chew food and speak more clearly.
Dentures get the job done, more or less. However, many denture wearers aren’t happy about the extent to which they get the job done. Are you one of these people? To find out, answer the following questions.
1. Are you concerned about bad breath? If you wear dentures, you may suffer from “denture breath.” Here’s how to tell: Remove your dentures and seal them in a plastic bag. After several minutes, open the bag slightly and sniff inside. If you smell an unpleasant odor, it’s coming from your dentures (and it’s how your breath smells to others.) Food particles and odor-causing bacteria hide in dentures. Brushing dentures isn’t sufficient to remove this bacteria; dentures must be chemically cleaned on a regular basis to prevent odor.
2. Are you unable to enjoy some of your favorite foods? Do you long to bite into a juicy apple or crunchy carrot? Do you miss corn on the cob, steak and popcorn? These are just a few of the forbidden foods for denture wearers.
3. Do you wish your smile looked more natural? A denture smile is a definite improvement over a toothless smile. Still, even the best dentures aren’t natural-looking enough to fool most people. Do you wish you could have artificial teeth without everyone knowing you have artificial teeth?
4. Does anxiety about your dentures affect your social life? One of the biggest sources of anxiety for denture wearers is that their dentures will slip out of place while they’re talking, eating or laughing around other people. Do you find yourself avoiding or holding back in social situations because you’re afraid your dentures will become loose?
5. Do you lack confidence in your smile? Do you avoid smiling because you’re embarrassed about how your smile looks? When you smile, you make people feel comfortable and show that you’re engaged and happy. When you don’t smile, you send a message that you’re unhappy or uncomfortable. If you’re not smiling because of your dentures, you’re doing yourself a huge disservice.
Ditch Your Dentures and Fully Enjoy Life Again
If you’re unhappy with how your dentures make you look or feel, there is no need to suffer any longer. Dental implants are more comfortable, more natural-looking, and more functional than dentures. Implants replace both the root and the crown of a missing tooth, so they’re permanent. Unlike dentures, dental implants also promote jawbone retention, which is a common concern among people with missing teeth. Without natural or artificial tooth roots to keep the bone strong, the jawbone begins to shrink over time, which may eventually lead to facial collapse.
What to Expect When Upgrading to Implants
Dental implants can help you improve your appearance and enjoy life more fully. Being fitted with implants is easier than you may think and takes just two roughly 90-minute visits. During the first visit, titanium posts will be implanted into the jawbone. These posts serve as the roots of your new teeth. After a period of healing during which the posts integrate with the jawbone, you’ll return so porcelain crowns can be attached to the posts to create a beautiful, permanent smile.
A genuine smile is one of the most authentic gifts you can give to others. A dental implant procedure is the biggest gift denture wearers can give to themselves. Contact Hylan Dental Care today to learn more.
Get started with a free consultation today by calling one of our Hylan Dental Center locations:
- Hylan Dental Center in Cleveland (216) 251-8812
- Hylan Dental Center in Aurora (330) 954-1000
- Hylan Dental Center in Cedar Center University Heights (216) 810-5700
- Hylan Dental Center in Brecksville (440) 546-9968