Silver amalgam fillings have been placed by dentists since the year 1840. While many dentists seem to be satisfied with this old technology, here at Hylan Dental Care, we feel that there is a better way to fill your teeth.
The new white composite fillings have several important advantages over amalgam.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
- The dentist doesn’t have to drill away as much of the tooth. Because composite bonds to tooth structure, there is no need to remove the weakened parts of the tooth that have to be removed when amalgam is placed. Often, composite fillings can be made one-third the size of amalgam, or even less.
- They bond to the teeth, strengthening weak teeth and making them less likely to break and need a crown later.
- They are gentler to the teeth—less irritating. You don’t have that uncomfortable sensitivity to hot and cold for weeks afterward that you may be used to.
- For many people, the most important difference is that they contain no mercury. Silver amalgam contains 50% mercury. While we have been told that this mercury is tightly bound in the filling, some recent studies have shown that they cause small amounts of mercury vapor to be released into your mouth every time you chew. This makes some people nervous, because mercury is a very toxic metal that is difficult for your body to eliminate.
- And then, of course, composite fillings look nicer. They can be colored to look just like your tooth, so there is no need for the unsightly amalgam fillings that turn black as they corrode in your mouth.
Are you interested in white, mercury-free composite fillings? If so, we’d be happy to see you at Hylan Dental Care. Just give us a call at 855-876-6100 for new patients, or you can request an appointment online, by clicking on our request an appointment page.